Electric vehicles (EVs) popularity continues to rise, so does the demand for EV charging solutions. While most EV drivers have a home charger, those living in multi-dwelling units such as apartment complexes often face challenges when it comes to installing a charger. To address this issue, Go Zero Charge has unveiled the UK’s first reservable EV charging solution within an apartment complex. In partnership with South Western House in Southampton, Go Zero Charge has installed three of its smart EV chargers – the Optimus – giving residents the ability to reserve a charging bay in advance.
Why reservable EV charging matters for apartment residents
Apartment residents have traditionally been unable to install EV chargers due to the high infrastructure costs involved. As a result, they are forced to rely on public rapid chargers that can be up to two-thirds more expensive than home charging. Additionally, there is no guarantee that the public charger will be working or available when they need it. By providing reservable EV charging solutions, Go Zero Charge is offering complete peace of mind to apartment residents, giving them the ability to regularly charge their vehicles at home without worrying about cost or availability.
Go Zero Charge’s smart EV chargers
All Optimus EV chargers are connected to the Go Zero Charging Network, which sends live status updates every 60 seconds, offering unrivalled reliability and support. In the unlikely event of a fault, technicians will be dispatched to repair or swap out the charger. This means that apartment residents can rely on their chargers to be available and in good working order when they need them.
How Go Zero Charge’s solution lowers costs
Charging costs for the apartment complex are kept low thanks to minimal infrastructure costs and the ability for the EV driver to reserve in advance their charging slot. This means that fewer chargers are required to support a large number of vehicles. Additionally, the cost of infrastructure and installation for the charging units at South Western House was reduced by the OLEV grant – a Government initiative offering landlords, property owners, renters, and leaseholders a grant of up to £850 to purchase and install an EV charger point, which really makes this a no brainer for most apartment complexes.
Expanding reservable EV charging solutions
South Western House has chosen to provide a private charging facility for its residents and any guests, but Go Zero Charge’s software also empowers block management companies to open chargers to the public, which could, in turn, expand the public charger network for all EV drivers. With the growth of the EV market across the UK, Go Zero Charge’s reservable EV charging solutions are likely to be the first of many.
Supporting the future of EV charging
To make EV ownership more accessible, the next major hurdle to overcome is tackling the lack of charging points in apartment and multi-dwelling units. With more and more people making the switch to electric vehicles, it is essential that charging solutions are available to everyone, regardless of where they live. Go Zero Charge’s solution is a significant step forward in making EV charging more accessible to apartment residents, and it is likely that other companies will follow suit.
Leading the charge
Go Zero Charge’s smart EV chargers offer apartment residents an affordable and reliable way to charge their vehicles at home. By providing reservable charging solutions, residents can be sure that their charger will be available when they need it, and they won’t have to rely on more expensive and less reliable public charging options. With the support of initiatives like the OLEV grant, we are likely to see more and more apartment complexes offering EV charging solutions in the future. As the EV market continues to grow, it is essential that charging solutions are available to everyone, regardless of where they live.
Supporting the remaining 20% of EV car owners
According to recent data, 80% of EV drivers have a home charger and for good reason, but for the remaining 20% finding a charging solution can on occasion be a challenge, particularly for those living in multi-dwelling units such as apartments. The inability to install home chargers can make it difficult to own and operate an EV, leading many apartment residents to rely on public charging stations.
With the unveiling of the UK’s first reservable EV charging solution for apartments at South Western House, this technology offers a perfect solution for the remaining 20% of EV owners who live in properties without access to a home charger. Go Zero Charge’s Optimus charger enables EV drivers to reserve a charging bay in advance, ensuring reliable and affordable access to charging facilities. Those interested in making their own apartment block gain an EV-friendly car park should get in touch with Go Zero Charge today to find out more.